Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Trip to Town

During the afternoon Sharon, Lynn, Mom and I went to the girls' hostel to visit.  I brought my guitar and some embroidery floss to make bracelets.  We sang several songs with them.  We took requests for songs that they might know.  "This is the Day" they requested and then sang it in Telegu for us.  I had Kusuma translate the songs that they didn't know because I wanted them to know the songs were about Jesus.  I taught them the "Be Like Jesus" song I wrote and it is neat to hear them singing it after I walk away.  After my fingers started hurting, I got out the thread and three of us passed it out to the girls to make bracelets.  I was going to teach them, but they indicated they already knew how.  I told them they could only have one each, but they girls would get one and then go to another line to get another. I was surprised how much thread was left over, so I gave it to Laxmi (one of the nursing students) to distribute it later.

Laxmi and Premalatha, and Pete helped Dan in the dental clinic.  They also trained one of the older boys, Venkat, to sterilize the tools and he worked the list.  All the staff who were here were screened and everyone but Kusuma had their teeth done.

Last night we had some free time and we wanted to go to town.  Pete wanted to take a rickshaw, but Kusuma insisted we take the van.  When we arrived the short distance to town, Pete told the drivers to leave and that we would get a rickshaw back to REACH.  We walked and looked at the shops.  I bought my daughter a beautiful pink traditional Indian outfit and some bangles.  She will love them.  When we decided it was time to go back Pete found us two rickshaws.  The ride was a little scary, a couple times I had to tuck my feet in when another bicycle passed us.  Mom was facing backwards and was quite intimidated by a bus that got rather close.  I think next time she will insist we take the bus back!  When we returned the van was missing, the drivers had waited for us downtown.  So Baby (Kusuma's neice who helps run the home), had to call them back.

I figured out how to use Skype on Mom's netbook.  This morning after breakfast we Skyped my husband and our virtual crew member, Joanie.  The children were very excited to talk on Skype.  I'm going to try to Skype church later this evening (which would be Sunday morning then). We will leave soon to go to the girls' hostel for worship. Oh, never mind, apparently the girls are coming here because I just saw them all pass by the door.  After lunch we are trying to arrange a visit to the leper colony.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment